Thandai (almond spiced milk) is a traditional Indian drink made on Holi or Mahashivratri day.
I have given an interesting twist to traditional cheesecake with Indian flavors.
This thandai cheesecake is no-bake cheesecake and sets more like mousse. So I have prepared it in small portions
Can I replace cream cheese?
Instead of cream cheese you can use mascarpone cheese or hung curd (should be hung overnight in cheesecloth. It is a good idea to use store bought curd here as they are comparatively thick and less sour)
Also, you can consider making it at home by following a few easy steps here
Can I make it vegan?
Of course yes, substitute cream cheese with Cashew Or Almond Cream Cheese and heavy whipping cream with your choice of non-dairy whipping cream
- ¾ cup Marie or any other digestive biscuits crushed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1.5 tbsp sugar if your digestive biscuits are sweet, avoid adding sugar
- ¾ cup or 6 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ tsp saffron dissolved in 1 tbsp warm milk
- 4-5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Thandai paste
- ¾ cup heavy cream cold
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ tsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp melon seeds
- 1 tbsp dry rose petals
- 7-10 saffron strands optional, soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk
- ½ cup milk or as needed
- Whipped cream I’ve used store-bought whipped cream with a dispenser for this recipe
- A handful of dried roses
- Mouth freshener mukhvas
Put all ingredients under Thandai masala in a blender and blend it to a smooth paste.
Using a rolling pin, crush digestive biscuits
In a bowl, add crushed digestive biscuits, sugar and melted butter
The crumbs should be moist
Now divide the crumbs equally and add into serving bowls.
Using a spoon or your fingers, push the crumbs until compact.
Place the glass in the refrigerator till you make the cheesecake filling
In a Mixing bowl, take cream cheese. It is important here that cream cheese should be at room temperature
Using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth
Now add sugar, soaked saffron strands, and Thandai paste
Mix everything using a hand mixer and set aside
In a mixing bowl, take heavy cream. It is important here that the heavy cream should be cold
Using a hand mixer, beat heavy cream till it forms peaks
Now add whipped cream in cream cheese mixture in 2-3 parts and carefully fold it
Once you have carefully folded the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture take the glasses out of the refrigerator
Using a spoon, pour the mixture on top of the crust
To remove any air or bubbles in cheesecake, tap the glasses over the kitchen surface
Cover the glasses using the cling wrap and refrigerate it for 4-5 hours or overnight
Take the glasses from the refrigerator and add whipped cream on top
Add dried roses and mouth freshener (mukhvas) for garnishing
Serve it immediately
- You can make Thandai paste in advance, it stays good for a week
- Instead of cream cheese you can use, Mascarpone Cheese or hung curd (should be hung overnight in cheesecloth. It is a good idea to use store bought curd here as they are comparatively thickened and less sour)
- You can put the mixing bowl and the hand mixer attachment in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before beating heavy cream